Yandex Labs have carried out an interesting study on iPad search behaviour in RuNet. Using data collected from Yandex Search and Yandex.Metrica, the company’s free web statistic tool that is installed on several million websites.
Numbers of Users
According this these data sources, by the end of January 2012:
- iPad visits made up at least one million of all online visitors to websites in the Russian internet
- 700,000 of these visits were made from Russian IPs, equating to 1% of all Russian Internet users
- iPad users accounted for about 1% of all internet users in Russia.
- More than 50% of all Russian iPad users were from Moscow and the Moscow regions.
- iPad ownership was growing fastest in the regions. In 2011 the number of iPad visitors to websites grew 5x, while iPad visits from other Russian regions grew 7x.
The iPad was officially released in Russia in November 2010. However several tens of thousands of iPads were already in use in the country [brought in from abroad by tourists, friends or bought through unofficial vendors]. In early 2011, their number exceeded 100,000 and this increased six times during the year. Over the same period, the number of both mobile phone users and PC users also went up, but the progress was significantly slower than the growth in the number of iPad users. The number of mobile phone users increased 2.5 times, while the number of PC users grew only 1.4 times.
- Yandex found that iPad users browsed as many web pages as PC users, and went online as often.
- iPad users make as many search queries as, and even slightly more than, PC users, and significantly more than mobile phone users.
- iPad owners mostly searched in the evenings and during the weekends.
- On a weekday, they make 57% of their search queries after 7pm. On Saturdays and Sundays, the number of search queries made from the iPad increases 20% compared with a weekday.
- Compared with the average Yandex user, iPad owners make significantly more search queries about topics related to travel and home.
- They are also more likely to look for products and services online.
- When it comes to entertainment content, mobile app search or social networking, iPad users typically revert to specialised apps.
The graph above gives a useful insight into the search demand on Yandex across the day, showing that iPad search volume typically peaks between 10pm-midnight on a weekday. In a similar way to the UK market, iPad users are becoming a significant group for search marketers to consider. Ignoring the user experience for these users is no longer an option.